Hit & Run Victims

If you, or someone you know, has been the victim of a hit & run, there is help from the state government.

Victim Compensation Programs Can Help.

You may be entitled to obtain compensation for some of your damages through state victim assistance and compensation programs as a victim of a criminal offense.

One such program is Crime Victim Compensation, which can help victims of hit-and-run accidents pay for some of the costs of their recovery, including medical care, lost wages, funeral bills and other expenses. Visit the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards (NACVCB) website at http://www.NACVCB.org or call (703) 780-3200 to learn how to contact your state program directly, to seek financial assistance.

Keep in mind that if a state program does pay money, it has the right to recover its payment, either by direct action against those legally responsible or as a lien against the recovery for the injured party.

Ask about the victims’ compensation fund and make sure you make clear your objection to the driver-defendant receiving probation, unless that sentence includes compensating you for your damages.

Here are some great Q’s & A’s about what you can do in a case of hit &

Who Qualifies? in Florida

Any victim who received personal injury or survivors of someone who was killed as a result of a felony or misdemeanor crime punishable under federal or state laws, including DUI and hit and run. Also any elderly or disabled adult who suffered a property loss as a result of a crime.

What are the Eligibility Requirements? in Florida

  • The victim or applicant must cooperate fully with law enforcement officials, the State Attorney’s Office, and the Attorney General’s Office.
  • The victim must have suffered a physical, psychiatric, or psychological injury, or death, as a result of the crime. (Exceptions may apply.)
  • The crime must be reported to law enforcement within three days after it happened, unless there is good reason for reporting it later.
  • The claim must be filed within one year of the crime, up to two years if there is good reason for not filing the claim. Exceptions are made for minor children.
  • The victim must not have contributed to the circumstances that caused the crime, injury, or death.
  • The victim was not engaged in an unlawful activity at the time of the crime.
  • Victim who is 60 years or older or a disabled adult who suffers a loss of tangible personal property as a result of a criminal or delinquent act may receive a property loss reimbursement.
  • Victims who need immediate assistance to escape from a domestic violence environment may receive financial assistance to relocate.
  • Criminal history record check will be performed through the Florida Crime Information Center for all victims and claimants. Persons who have been adjudicated as an habitual felony offender, habitual violent offender, or violent career criminals, and persons who have been adjudicated guilty of a forcible felony offense are not eligible to receive benefits.